Friday, September 12, 2008

ARTIST SPOTLIGHT: SEARIUS ADD

This weeks Artist Spotlight is my man Searius Add...He's an artist he exemplifies the essence of Hip Hop...Creative flow, meaningful music, and an education!!! With the state of Hip Hop in peril its refreshing to be able to spotlight a true artist...

1. For all those people that been hiding under a rock, let them know who Searius Add is…
I’m just a “fairly” talented and authentic rap artist and spoken word poet. I do a few more things but that’s the foundation. “A college boyz mind with a d-boyz hustle” lol…
2. I have seen you over the years start from doing spoken word and maturing into a hip hop artist. How has that transition influenced your music?
I first started rapping in 6th grade, then I picked up spoken word in college. Most people knew me as a spoken word artist first because when I hit college I never performed as a rap artist- “everybody” started rapping and didn’t want to be affiliated with it. I released my first mixtape in 2004 and since then rap has been my business. Rap is my main priority but I do them both; it keeps me balanced.
3. Your music is meaningful and often tells a story, with the state of hip hop leaning towards the more meaningless party songs, how do you maintain as an artist without going mainstream to make a quick “buck”?
The hallmark of a true artist is the ability to make commercially viable music while still remaining true to yourself. I’m interested in making timeless music, not timely music; meaning, I set trends not follow them. At the same time I don’t knock anyone else’s hustle or what they do, and I do realize there’s a season for everything. Artists try too hard at making everyone like them. I work at making the best product I can, market it as creatively and thoroughly as I can… and the rest takes care of itself. That’s been my formula and people love my approach.
4. Ok…So I’ve seen you on the Rap Battle scene and I must say you have out shined quite a few rappers to say the least, where do you get your inspiration to battle rap? And how do you separate the rap battle verses from your studio music?
LOL… good lookin, bro. When I’m battling my aim is to destroy you; flat out humiliate you in the worst way. From ya outfit to ya momma, whatever it takes… They are really two different worlds. Battling is sport to me but its too one-dimensional. You only can talk about another person so much. After awhile it gets corny to me. Making good music is an art, a talent, a craft…
5. So last but not least, What can people expect from Serius Add in the future as far as upcoming shows, collabs, tours etc?….And how can people contact you?
Sheesh! I had a tour scheduled to kick off in October nationally but I had to push things back a little bit because I have TWO companies that are set to launch this year: “Gold Bars” (my entertainment umbrella) and “Back Pack Developments” (my non-profit). Got some realllly big things planned that I have to keep under wraps now (especially considering how niggaz love to BITE, lol) but as the days approach I’ll most definitely keep you posted sir. Me and DJ Mr King are going to do a mixtape before years end and the album is coming at the top of ’09. I’ve been working diligently behind the scenes on a few different business ventures so aside from the mixtape with King Im tryna stay out the way… because in ’09 it’s a wrap! ;) The quiet before the storm sir. I can be reached at www.myspace.com/SeariusAdd, www.SeariusMusic.com or SeariusAdd@SeariusMusic.com.
Last but not least thank you for your time, and we expect big things from you here at Tha Takeover…Good Luck and Keep Grindin!!!!
Thank YOU sir. U already know…

No comments: